Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Car Shopping

So... I will soon be car shopping.
Monday I was headed to Las Vegas to shop and visit my sister. It had barely started snowing, so I didn't change my plans. Usually when it is snowing here, the roads get better the closer to Vegas, exc. Cory and I discussed whether I should go and decided it would be fine to go, so I packed up the boys and headed out of town. I followed the tow truck out of town and over the summit. The tow truck turned around at the bottom and I continuted on. The roads continued to look good but occasionally they had patches of snow. At one spot ahead of my I could see a light snow on the road so I took my foot off the gas. At this point I was going about 62. A minute later (not sure about exact time here) I hit a ice spot and it spun my car into the other lane. I slowly turned my wheel back the other way, but it spun me all the way around almost facing the way I came and then went off the side of the road and flipped once over end and once over the side. I am not sure how it flipped the first time. I think it may have hit on the top side and flipped it over to the other side. I know I went over 2 times because I counted it. The car doesn't really look all that bad. I think it was because I had slowed down before I hit the ice. There was a man behind me less than a mile and he must have seen me crash, at least the tracks and they were still fresh when he passed me. He didn't even stop. It made me mad. But the boys were safe in their car seats and I was safe in the front seat. Hudson was a bit upset and didn't know how to react. Hafen was crying and distraught about his movie that had been unplugged and thrown on the floor. I explained that everything was ok and we could go to his cousins another time and he could watch the movie on the way home. I was pretty calm. I checked the boys, called Cory, then called 911 and then called my sister. I think talking to her really helped keep me calm. I can now say I have ridden in an ambulance. Hudson didn't think riding in it was so great, but after he was given crackers and a cool purple glove to play with he did fine. Hafen really had fun riding along with the ambulance workers and Grandma Smith (she is an EMT and arrived on the scene) whom I was so grateful to see. She helped with the boys and I was glad they had someone they knew to be with them. We are all fine minus sore bodies. I can't complain. I know the Lord really watches out for us and I am grateful we are safe and I know that prayers are answered. I am also grateful for everyone who has been so kind and helpful to us. I even had meals brought over from a few close friends!
I posted a few pictures of the car. I think it held up pretty good.

8 comments:

Tessa Marie said...

How scary! I'm so glad you guys are all ok!

Cristie and girls said...

Wow! That must have been very scary! I'm glad you and the boys weren't seriously hurt.

The Moore Family said...

Melissa I am so glad you guys are okay. What a scary thing!

Vera said...

I'm glad everyone came out un-injured (except the car)!

Shannon said...

Oh my gosh Melissa!!! How scary that must have been! Angels were looking out for you!! So gald you guys are ok!

Karyn said...

But on the plus side, you get to buy a new car!! And lucky for you, prices have never been better!!

Loren said...

I am glad you guys are ok! The only thing scarier than rolling a car is watching someone you care about roll a car!

Happy hunting on the new car!

Jeff & Jeanette said...

I am so glad you're safe!! We were actually just over at Alma and Matti's babysitting and Matti told me all about it...I wanted to call, but it's late and don't want to disturb you or the boys.
Just know we love you!! And we'll see you in March!!